After having this recipe go viral on TikTok, I figured it deserved it's own spot on the blog. Who would have thought my voice would be heard by millions naming off ingredients to cookies Kirby and I have been making for years? Like, what?! Watching all this happen and connecting with so many people through cookies is basically a dream come true lol. Sharing this super simple recipe has helped bring so much joy into families kitchens and that makes me so dang happy. I mean, 5 ingredient peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are going to be pretty hard to beat.
* Do you need flour? No. These are gluten free and no flour is used.
* Can you skip the peanut butter? Nope. You would have to use some type of substitute. I have only used PB (I do plan to test more options out), but have seen others use Nutella as a great option. I also think almond butter, or sunflower seed butter (if you're allergic to nuts) would work too.
* Can you skip the chocolate chips? Yes. We have many times when we don't have them on hand which makes it a yummy peanut butter cookie.
* What if I freeze the dough and make the next day? I've never tried freezing it, and think it would work best just doing it fresh.
* Can you skip the egg? I don't think it would work well without the egg. The egg helps add structure & stability to an already very simple recipe.
* Can I use white sugar? You can, however, you lose the molasses from the brown sugar which again helps with structure and holding it all together. I've used half white and half brown before (due to supply) and found it to taste more grainy, but I'm picky with these! I have have seen people try it with white and still love them.
* Can I use less sugar? Probably! Some people have said these are too sweet and used less sugar. I've never tried, but I think start by taking away 1/4 cup and see what happens!
Shop My Baking Essentials
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (I've also used chunky!)
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix everything together. Place 12 cookies on a prepared baking sheet (I spray with Pam) and bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes. I like to flatten my cookies a bit to help bake them all the way through. Don't over bake! Pull them out when you see the edges start turning a golden brown color. Then let them continue to sit & bake on the sheet (out of the oven) for 5 or so minutes to let harden. Enjoy!